Monday, April 28, 2008

good for a late night snack and ...

breakfast the next morning!


Sour cream softies that is. Well, cookies #2 and #3 in the front row are regular softies. The rest of the yummies got dressed up with cinnamon & sugar as faux-snickerdoodles.

Have you guys ever heard of/ eaten sour cream softies? As the name implies, it's a cookie made with sour cream. I thought it was a recipe my mom made up but I looked it up online (man, doesn't the Internet make things just too easy sometimes? sheesh!) and found out that the recipe was printed in "Family Circle" magazine around 1970.

I found a recipe online at recipezaar.com that was the exact same recipe as my mom's except it included the cinnamon & sugar and one commenter had changed the recipe by adding 2 eggs & vanilla. Hmm... maybe I'll have to try it with those extra ingredients next time.

Here's the recipe-- Enjoy with a big glass of milk! Oh, and btw, it's my opinion that snickerdoodles and these softies are only good right after you get them out of the oven (and the next morning too)-- not so good after a couple of days-- so eat up!

Oh, and one more thing, these cookies are good without the cinnamon and sugar too -- you might want to make a couple of them without the Cinn/Sug just to try the authentic sour cream softie taste. Or what I assume is the authentic taste -- maybe my mom just never put the Cinn/Sug on top and you were supposed to?? ** Ok, lemme call her-- She said told me that when her mom made them for her, Nana never put cinnamon & sugar on top but sometimes she added candy sugar sprinkles. Well, I guess we'll never know what is the proper way to make these -- but without cinn/sugar makes me think of childhood and with makes me think of a snickerdoodle, so take your pick! Really, without further ado, here is the dang recipe! :)

Sour Cream Softies
{ 10 min prep time, 12 min baking time. According to the recipe online, makes 36-42 cookies but I never believe that because I always like to make slightly larger cookies. }

  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream (8 ounce carton)
  • cinnamon & sugar mixture
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Directions
    1. Measure flour, salt, baking powder, and soda into a sifter.
    2. Cream butter or margarine with sugar until well blended in a large bowl: beat in eggs and vanilla.
    3. Sift in flour mixture, adding alternately with sour cream to make a thick batter.
    4. Drop by by rounded Tablespoonfuls, 4 inches apart, on greased cookie sheets; spread into 2 inch rounds; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
    5. Bake in hot oven (400°F) 12 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges.
    6. Remove from cookie sheets; cool completely on wire racks.

    5 comments:

    John Rios said...

    No comments? Must be because they didn't TASTE these suckers! Oh man, hot outta the oven! I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW! *runs out to buy sour cream*

    jimaie.marie said...

    wait a minute...was my care package going to include some of these babies?? i mightve changed my mind, they look so yummy! and sound good too, i'm a fan of sour cream fo sho ;)
    i love that you made them faux snickerdoodles, good thinking!

    Ashley said...

    I have some extra sour cream, I know what I'm making tomorrow night! yummers. I'll let you know how it goes.

    Stephanie said...

    Hmm I AM heading to the store tonight. Maybe just maybe I will try making them, though I will have to buy ALL those ingredients because the only time I ever bake is at my mom's house in Bako. But they do sound worth it. I may half the recipe though. Or I guess I could bring the leftovers into work and become more popular. lol! I'll let you know how it goes! (Heck I am so out of blog ideas lately I will probably blog about it.)

    Stephanie said...

    I'll probably add the eggs and vanilla.. I'll let you know how it goes.