Wednesday, November 5, 2008

This is our moment.

I expected to feel totally elated today after Barack Obama's amazing victory but I've been in kind of a bummer mood. The day has been weird for a lot of reasons ... I think it's been a combination of post-election blues, frustration and sadness about prop 8 passing, and dealing with some negativity on a personal level.

But my spirits have been lifted because my genius cartoonist/graphic designer husband just emailed me a political cartoon he created this afternoon:


Yay Johnny! I love it.

It reminds me that although there's a big mess we have to clean up in this country, Obama's campaign proved we have already overcome so much. Obama didn't let racism, fear or lies stand in his way. He kept his campaign message positive the whole race, focusing on the hope of something better for our country. Hope is indeed alive and well.

So ... how was your election night?

John and I spent the night with my mom & dad, my sister and her BF and a bunch of my parents' friends.

There were drinks and tons of food ... but I couldn't enjoy my mom's yummy cheese ball or take more than a bite of her homemade (from scratch!) chocolate cake because I was just full to the brim with nervous energy -- even after the electoral vote count showed that Obama had won, that the presidency was his, a totally done deal. I can't really explain it ... I think it just didn't feel real. After living through eight years of Bush, it seemed too good to be true.

It wasn't real for me until Obama walked out on the stage at Grant Park in Chicago and gave his incredibly moving acceptance speech.

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our Founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."

After he began his speech with this line, I started bawling. And proceeded to wipe away tears and more tears throughout the speech.

I had lost my faith in America, lost my hope in democracy ... but now hope has been restored. Now I know what it truly means to feel patriotic. After feeling ashamed of my country because of Iraq, it feels good to be proud.

I will remember Tuesday night forever. So happy I was alive to see the first African American to be elected president. And aside from race, I just feel so lucky to be alive at the same time as such an inspiring person.

It's going to be so surreal to actually respect and admire our president.

When I went to bed Tuesday I told John, "We have the coolest president in the world!" We hi-fived and I thought about how great it's going to be to redeem ourselves in the eyes of the world, to show the world that America really is the land of dreams ... to work towards bringing peace to the rest of the world, not war.

As Obama says -- Yes we can. This is our moment.

Obama closed his speech by saying:

"America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there's so much more to do. So tonight let us ask ourselves, if our children should live to see the next century ... what change will they see? What progress will we have made?"

Can't wait to see what the future holds for our country. Can't wait to be a part of making the U.S. a better place for all of us.

Obama's full acceptance speech - both in video and in text - can be found here.

7 comments:

Johnny said...

It was an amazing night. Thanks for posting my pic honey! Glad you like it!

Steph Corwin said...

You rock Ms Sarah Marie P and I'm glad I had someone going through the blues with me..

and Johnny.. sorry Sarah woke you up last night to ask you that silly question ;) My fault

My night included getting off work late, getting home even later after picking up pizza, drinking a beer and sitting on the couch just in time for them to officially announce it. Watched McCain's awesome speech (seriously, why was he not that well-spoken throughout the whole race?) and then Obama came out. And I cried like a baby because it finally hit me. Then I cried for the whole rest of the night. Checked Prop 8 as it came in. Couldn't sleep. Couldn't concentrate on the work I was supposed to do. And basically watched Friends in an effort to cheer myself up.

and woke up with big puffy eyes.

bleh.

Sara McGinness said...

your hubby is super talented, I love the picture-amazing!!!

I love reading your posts especially these ones about the election, so eloquently written. Really makes me wish I was a better writer. Either way I am right there with you.

La Petite Chic said...

Johnny should totally have that published!! Also, I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one crying. The tears just came out of nowhere!

Sarah said...

you don't know me but this post is amazing..i couldn't agree more. i'm so sick of reading all these people knocking Obama before he even gets to show the country what he's all about. I am also glad that I'm not the only one that cried...and still find myself crying whenever i see him..
nice job!

Talia said...

your hubby really is talented at what he does. Thanks for sharing some of it with us!
It sounds like you had a great election night (even though you couldn't eat the chocolate cake :)), so yay for that! We did too-- some friends of ours had a big election party and it was so fun to hang out and watch the results come in.

I don't think I've asked you yet-- are you coming into town this weekend for the art show and other festivities? Might I actually get to meet you, my bloggy buddy?? :)

Katelin said...

such an awesome night. and great picture johnny! :)