Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Need A Summer Job?

So, did you guys catch this story today? Ya know, the one about the BEST JOB IN THE WORLD?!

Ok, here's the dealio:

The position is an island caretaker in Hamilton Island, which is part of Australia's Whitsunday Islands. Basically all you have to do is spend your days on the beach and promote the island on a weekly blog, posting photos and videos of your experiences. Yep, that's right - getting paid to blog about your adventures snorkeling and living it up at this place!


Ohmygosh, sign me up! And I haven't even gotten to the pay!

It's a six month position and in exchange for hanging out around Australia's Great Barrier Reef, one lucky duck will be paid 150,000 Australian dollars ($100,000). Um, yeah. I think $100,000 should cover it.

As unbelievable as it sounds, this job is really, really, really for realz. The position was cooked up by the tourism department in Australia's Queensland state and billed as the "Best Job in the World" as part of a AU$1.7 million campaign to boost tourism in the state.

Oh, and the job also includes free accommodation in an oceanfront villa and airfare from the winner's home country. Does it get any better than that?! No way Jose! Australia, you weren't kidding when you named the position the "Best Job in the World."

I'm pretty sure everyone and their second cousin's best friend is interested in the position because the Web site http://www.islandreefjob.com/ seems to be down right now. I'm not worried about the competition though because I know I'm the right girl for the job.

Dude -- I've been blogging for almost a year now so the blogging will be easy as pie. Posting photos and videos of my experiences? As Virgania Horsen would say, "I think I can handle it." Having six months with nothing to do but hang out and blog will give me a nice chunk of time to work on improving my photo skills. Maybe I'll use a bit of my sweet salary to buy a fancy-pants camera and fly one of the Tacos out to the island so they can share some of their wisdom and give me some awesome photography pointers. And video blogs? I mean, you've seen "My Noisy Jacket," right?! Need I say or vlog more?! Ha.

And you guys know I love the beach! Plus, I've always wanted to go to Australia and I can't think of a better opportunity. Oh, and the job starts this summer which is perfect because I haven't made any plans yet and I was really hoping to do something special this year. Hmmm ... the teeny tiny issue that I already have a full-time job and will have to break the news to my company? I'm sure my boss will be AOK with this; I mean, he's the one that forwarded the article about the position to me! Ok, not really, but I think I'll use this as my excuse. Right, Joe? :)

I can see it know ... me, Johnny and the cats chilling on the sand. I'll use part of my freakin awesome paycheck to fly my friends and family out for a visit. And don't worry about accommodations, you guys -- of course you can totally sleep on the couch at my oceanfront villa!

Applications are open until Feb. 22 and 11 finalists will be flown to Hamilton Island in May for the final selection process. The job begins on July 1.

Seriously, no joke - I kind of want to apply!

(photo credit goes to http://www.austravel.ie/)

18 comments:

Erin said...

I saw this last night and immediately e-mailed it to my Dad. It would be the perfect job for him, you know, if he needed a job.
His response was: But they don't tell you what happened to the last guy who had the job. Maybe he was eaten by a shark.
Oh, Dad.
Seriously, this job looks amazing!

Sarah said...

You seriously SHOULD apply! It's totally you. Go for it, girlie!

rachel elizabeth said...

i would die for this job. six months on a beach taking pictures, blogging and working on my sun tan? heck, i would do it for free.

sohobutterfly said...

This is TOTALLY the best job evah! I've been to Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays... I was very hungover that day! *lol*

APPLY!! You should totally do it.

amric1409 said...

That looks ridiculously amazing! Sounds almost too good to be true..

alyssa said...

Chris sent me that link yesterday!! I am dying to go there, and I would probably do it for free if I could take someone, haha!

Elle Bee said...

You should totally apply, what do you have to lose?

Talia said...

um, yes, sign me up please. My goodness, that sounds unbelievable! Do it girl... apply! You just never know!!

I love your new header, by the way! It's adorable!

ecrunner said...

If only I could connect to the site... :(

You would think that with new 4G wireless internet connections, I could get to the site.

The job seems so unreal. I wonder how they will go about selecting the winner.

Johnny said...

Do they have Mai Tais? I would take extended leave of my job to go do that with you NO PROBLEM! Tell them I'm an artist! I can supplement your photos with drawings! :)

I wonder if Winnie and Charlie would adapt well to being island cats?

P.S. You're hilarious!

Katelin said...

haha i saw this on cnn. you should totally apply! then i could brag on my blog that i read your blog and sort of know you, haha.

Sarah said...

Go for it. Then we can all come and visit you.

*jimaie.marie* said...

i just could NOT get over the visual of freakin Winnie and fat Charlie chillin on the damn beach soakin up the rays!!!!!!! LOL!! seriously, i'm rollin!
ahahaha!! laughing some more, remember?? "I was rooooolllllliiiin!!!" oh chamille, where you be guuurl? i wonder where that chick ended up. HA!!! um, this is a redunkulous comment. i love you buhbye. ;)

Sara McGinness said...

oh man what a great job and just wow. I think you should totally apply, why not you have nothing to lose and if you get it just think about how awesome that would be and the PAY (you guys could buy a house or a huge down payment on a house)

*CPA* Su said...

That would be amazing!! Send me a post card if you get it! HAHA!! =)

Steph said...

Oh WOW. That would be the best job ever. Probably not the best career move for me, but you could totally do your magazine gig abroad! But with 100K for a year I dont think you'd need to keep up your other job..

Lauryn said...

Oh my gosh this is amazing! you have be thinking of applying now too! How can you not??

pDogg said...

Awesome vidy mate! Here's a cool rockin' video I put together.
http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/applicants/watch/kQzXTMfDLpA